Window display competition
Wexford Festival Opera are determined to ensure that all eyes are on Wexford in 2023.
An important and immensely popular part of previous Festivals has been the Window Display Competition. This year it is more important than ever!
This year, Wexford businesses are invited to use the opportunity to congratulate Wexford on its successful Fleadh Cheoil bid. The entries must reference the Wexford Festival Opera. We are encouraging Wexford businesses to take part and participate to demonstrate the town's pride in the Festival it has created since 1951.
Participation is easy
1. Design your window display using a congratulatory message to Wexford for the successful Fleadh Cheoil bid as your inspiration (contact our Creative Team should you need help with your ideas).
2. Email a photograph of your creative window display by Thursday, 19 October to email@example.com
3. Judging will take place between 24-31 October and winners will be announced at a reception at the National Opera House.
Participants are encouraged to leave their displays up until after the closing night of the Festival (5 November).
A Creative Team at Wexford Festival Opera is available to assist you with your window display should you need help with ideas or sourcing props for your window. Don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more assistance.
The Judging Panel
- Bruno Ravella, Stage Director of Zoraida di Granata at WFO2023,
- Garry McCann, Set & Costume Designer of Zoraida di Granata at WFO2023
- Dara Clifford, Editor at The People Newspaper
- Barbara Walsh, Local Fleadh Cheoil Committee
- Ethne Ryan, Winner of the 2022 Ecclesiastical/ Wexford Festival Opera Volunteer of the Year Award
There will be more prizes than ever this year, including cash prizes, across five categories. An overall winner will also be announced. Photographs of the winning window displays will be posted on www.wexfordopera.com, publicised by local media during the Festival and included in the Festival’s Programme Book.
- Best Creative Window
- Best Incorporation of Theme
- Best Use of Space
- Best Environmentally Friendly Theme (supported by the EPA)
- Best Use of Colour/Lighting
Let's decorate the town for Festival time!
The Festival has worked closely for many years with The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in Wexford to promote the values of a healthy circular economy. Through this partnership, this year we are encouraging all businesses entering the Wexford Festival Opera 2023 Windows Display Competition to make environmentally friendly and sustainable choices when designing your window displays.
As part of your entry under the theme, we will be taking special note of businesses that promote and demonstrate the following elements
- Reusing or repurposing materials found in your shop/business
- Using recycled materials in your design
- The use of energy efficient lighting i.e. solar lighting
- Overall incorporation of a sustainable message within your design
- Introducing elements of nature and the environment into your display i.e. raw materials from nature